The Others – Part 3 – The Other in the Mirror
Sermon by Greg MacRobbie – Sunday, November 24, 2019
What do you see when you look in the mirror?
Life Group Study Guide
Scripture: Romans 7:24-8:34
Today you get to play “A Truth and Two Tales”. Have each person think of one unusual talent they have, along with two decoy talents they do not have. Take turns sharing all three while the rest votes on which is the real one. See how many people you can fool! Whoever has the least number of people correctly guess your hidden talent, wins 🙂
[Instead of an unusual talent, you can play using an interesting fact about yourself or place you have visited. Decide as a group, and have fun :)]
1. Was there something in this week’s teaching that particularly struck you or got you thinking?
2. Read Mark 12:30-31. Why do you think the second command contains the words, “as yourself’?
3. “Nobody really loves you!” “You’re worthless!” “You’re a failure!” “You will never change!” These are some of the things we may be tempted to say to the person we see in the mirror… Where do you think these come from? Why are they so damaging?
4. Read Romans 7:24-8:4. The Bible does not invite us to ignore our shortcomings, or pretend that we are perfect, but rather, God invites us to look at ourselves from a different vantage point… His! What do these verses tell us about what God sees when He looks at us?
5. Read Romans 8:28-34. What strikes you most from this passage?
6. These verses are just a small example of the many times God tells us that when He looks at us who have faith in Him, He sees those He loves, values, empowers, blesses, and one day will make perfect. How convincing to you personally is God’s opinion of you?
7. What could help you listen to and accept more fully what God sees in you?
What is God saying to you from His Word? What are you going to do about it?