The Others – Part 2 – When I am The Other
Sermon by Jim Fergusson – Sunday, November 17, 2019
What should our reaction be when we are treated as “the other”?
Life Group Study Guide
Scripture: Matthew 18: 21-35
We have all experienced drivers on the road who maybe aren’t behaving as they should. (And many of us have some bad driving habits of our own.) What’s the best example you have witnessed of a bad, dangerous, or inexplicable decision while driving.
1. Was there something in this week’s teaching that particularly struck you or got you thinking?
2. Why do you think our experiences being treated as “The Other” tend to stick with us for so long? Are there things we do that tend to keep them lingering in our thoughts?
3. How do you typically respond when you have been treated as The Other? How effective has that approach been? Are there any suggestions you have for how to manage your gut reactions?
4. Read Matthew 18: 21 -35. Do you think the first servant was being petty? Do you tend to act like that first servant when someone wrongs you? Or more like the merciful king? How can we take baby steps to be more and more like the king in our every day lives?
5. Have you experienced a scenario where you decided to forgive a long held debt? How did that affect you? What brought about that change of heart? How can you replicate that in that in the future?
6. Read Romans 12: 17-21. Do you ever feel the need to “help” God with that whole “revenge” thing? What do you think it mean to not “let evil conquer you”? How do you think you can “conquer evil by doing good”. Be practical and specific.
What is God saying to you from His Word? What are you going to do about it?
Facing thoughts and feelings about things and people we have been unable to forgive can be enormously difficult. But it is a decision we can make because of what Jesus has done for us. Forgiven people forgive people. Is there something you’re having forgiving that your group can help you with or pray with you for?