Something More – Part 4 – Distractions
Sermon by Jim Fergusson – Sunday, September 27, 2020
We have all been distracted. What happens when these distractions steer us away from God’s mission for us?
Life Group content for this week
SOMETHING MORE… – Week 4 – More Effective for God
Follow God’s dreams in everyday life
THIS WEEK’S MAIN IDEA
Reaction to distraction defines your traction
Nehemiah 6: 1-9
Have everyone share a childhood dream they had for their life, what happened to that dream, and how they think about it now.
Or, if this is your first week meeting:
Take some time and catch up or get to know one another better. Have everyone share a high and a low from the summer months, and how they are adjusting this fall with Covid. Have everyone share one thing they hope to see or experience through Life Group this season.
- Read Neh 6:1-7 The wall that was being built was an average height of 40 feet, about 8 feet thick and it was about 4 km long. Have you ever tackled a job that compares to something of that size?
- While Nehemiah was doing the physical work of rebuilding the wall, Sanballat and Tobiah are threatening and spreading rumours. What do you find hardest to deal with? …..hard physical labour? …..or threats and rumours?
- Read Neh 6:8 How did Nehemiah deal with the threats and rumours? Can we deal with them in the same way?
- Read Neh 6:9 Realizing that Sanballat and Tobiah were trying to intimidate him, made Nehemiah “continue the work with even greater determination.” Can you share of a time when some opposition resulted in you working “with even greater determination” for Jesus?
- Reaction to distraction can define our traction. To enable us to get “traction for Jesus” we need to know what can easily distract us. What kind of distractions get in your way? …focusing on unimportant things? …not identifying things we can do something about? …fear? …doubt? Are there things you need to overcome to ensure that you won’t miss the things that God has prepared for you to do?
What is God saying to you from His Word right now? What are you going to do about it?