Say What? – Part 3 – Hate my family
Sermon by Lucas Roberts – Sunday, November 15, 2020
Did Jesus really say I should hate my family?
Life Group content for this week
Say What – Part 3
SAY WHAT? Confusing, frustrating and scandalous things Jesus said.
THIS WEEK’S MAIN IDEA
God must come first, even before family
Can you share a time when you have worked on something and aimed for perfection? Were you able to achieve perfection; and how did you feel if/when you could not? Did you do all the work on your own?
- If someone looked at your life from the outside, what would they think is the most important thing to you, the thing you love most? What are the aspects of our life or the decisions that we make that provide the strongest evidence about what we love most?
- Read Matthew 22:36-40. Do you agree with Lucas’ statement that we tend to consider or talk about the “first” and “second” commandments as equally important? In what ways are they equal? In what ways are they not equal?
- Read Matthew 10:37 and Luke 14:26. Jesus said we should love God more than we love our families. How would you explain this teaching to someone who isn’t a believer? How would you respond to someone who says that it makes God sound insecure, or that it’s not right for God to be jealous?
- Read Luke 14:28-33. Why does Jesus tell us to “count the cost” – to consider what being his disciple might cost us? Have you done that? Does having worked through that process affect how we react when we experience a loss or a difficult choice?
- What does your life look like when you put God first, before your family or anything else?
- When is it hardest to put God first? What do you find helps you to do it? How can we help each other do it?
What is God saying to you from His Word right now? What are you going to do about it?