Say What? – Part 2 – Do I have to be perfect?
Sermon by Greg MacRobbie – Sunday, November 8, 2020
What does Jesus say about perfection? Do we have to be perfect?
Life Group content for this week
Say What – Part 2
SAY WHAT? Confusing, frustrating and scandalous things Jesus said.
THIS WEEK’S MAIN IDEA
Do I have to be perfect?
Can you share a time when you have worked on something and aimed for perfection? Were you able to achieve perfection; and how did you feel if/when you could not? Did you do all the work on your own?
- Once again, read Matthew 5:17–48. What are you learning about Jesus’ standards in regard to anger (verses 21–26) and loving your enemies (verses 43–48)?
- Do you want to be great in the Kingdom of Heaven?. What does Matthew 5:19 teach us about the end result of those who obey and those who disobey or ignore God’s commandments?
- Greg said on Sunday that according to Jesus, perfection chooses reconciliation. Discuss this.
- Read Matthew 5:43–48. How hard is it to love as Jesus loves, and is it possible? Discuss
- In his sermon, Greg described there are 3 main steps outlined in Scripture for us.
- Justification – Greg summed it up when he said: “we are made right with God through faith, not by obeying the law”. Read Romans 3:19–28 and discuss. Why is this the best news you could ever hear?
- Empowerment Read 2 Peter 1:3–8. What does God give us to live the godly life that He wants us to live?
- Sanctification Do you feel that you are growing spiritually?
- The words humility and hope were given to us to help us to work on these areas of spiritual growth. How do they apply to our everyday lives?
What is God saying to you from His Word right now? What are you going to do about it?