Life Group Discussion Guide
Who do you think is/was a ‘great’ leader, either living or dead, and why?
Share your thoughts with the group.
Read Judges 4:1-10
1. In the story of Deborah and Barak, Barak is holding back from
leading, and has to be pushed to lead (v 6-8). Is this your natural
inclination too, or do you find leading an exciting challenge? Share
an example from your experience with the group.
Read Romans 12:6-8
2. Tim points out that leadership is both a Christian role and a Spiritual
gift. Does this surprise you? Can you think of other spiritual gifts that
should be part of all our lives as Christians?
3. If you do not consider yourself to be a leader, nor have the spiritual
gift of leadership, are there areas in your life where you have to adopt
this role? How does this make you feel?
Read Galatians 1:10
4. What are some obstacles or barriers you have thought of yourself, or
heard, against taking a leadership position for God?
God has given us encouragement in His word.
Read Acts 4:13, 1 Timothy 3:1, Joshua 1:7-9, Galatians 6:9
5. Discuss how you would know if you have the gift of leadership. Take
a moment to share ideas, then this week, reach out to anyone in your
group that you see with leadership skills, and give them some
affirmation and encouragement.
Read Matthew 20:25-28, Matthew 25:14-30, Psalm 78:72
6. The Biblical view of leadership can be very different from the reality
we see around us, privately or in public/institutions. As a leader, or
as one who has had to take a leadership role in an area of your life,
can you think of one thing you commit to doing differently this week
after reading of Biblical leadership?
What is God saying to you from His Word right now? What are you going
to do about it?