Follow that Dream – Part 1 – The Dream of a Fully Developed Disciple-Making System
Sermon by Greg MacRobbie – Sunday, March 5, 2023
God has something bigger in mind for you. The question is, how do you get there?
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe to the sermon podcast: Google Podcasts | RSS | More
Life Group Study Content
This week’s Main Idea:
For any dream to become a reality, you’ve got to have a plan that works, and you have to work the plan. If you work a plan that ‘doesn’t work’, all you’ll get is frustration. If you build a plan that works, but then fail to work the plan, you get the picture…
The greatest dream we could grab hold of is the dream of becoming fully engaged followers of Jesus… it is the only way to realize our full potential, experience deep relationships with God and others, and influence our world in ways that actually make a difference. That dream is attainable, and at Brookside, we’ve been working hard at developing the best plan we can to help us all make progress, but, it is up to each of us personally to put in the effort.
Have you ever experienced first hand the saying “fail to plan, plan to fail”? What was the situation and how did it end up?
- Why does the church (body of Christian believers) exist? What purpose does it serve? Does it serve more than one purpose? Do you think the church is effective in serving its purpose?
Read Ephesians 4:11-12.
- In this passage Paul discusses the apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers of the church. What is the role of these people and how does it differ from the roles of other people in the church? Is the work of ministry specific to only some people within the church?
- What is the work that God’s people are equipped to do? What does that work look like at Brookside? Try to think beyond the most “visible” examples.
- In what areas do you feel well equipped? In what areas do you feel that you are not well equipped? What would make you more equipped to do God’s work at Brookside?
Read Ephesians 4:13-14.
- Paul’s vision for the church would see us “measuring up to the full and complete standard of Christ”. Is this vision close to being realized? If you think it hasn’t been realized already, when will it be?
- Why is it important for the church, and for us as individuals, to become more mature in the Lord? What is the risk if we remain immature?
Read Ephesians 4:15-16
- What does it mean to speak the truth in love? Who are we called to speak it to? Do you sometimes find it challenging to live up to this call, and if so, why?
- What is the role of Christ in the church? How do you see Christ’s role in practice at Brookside? Consider the entire passage we have read.
What is God saying to you from His Word right now? What are you going to do about it?