Dream Big – Part 6 – Opportunity Knocks
Sermon by Greg MacRobbie – Sunday, February 10, 2019
Opportunities come our way. They don’t stay forever. And how we respond can change the direction of our lives.
Life Group Study Guide
CONNECT: Opportunities come and go all the time. We take advantage of some, but there are many times when we hold back only to later regret not taking advantage when opportunity came around. Was there an opportunity in your past that you passed up, but would gladly act on now if you could do it over? Tell the group about it…
- Was there something in this week’s teaching that particularly struck you or got you thinking?
- Read Numbers 13:1-28. When opportunity knocks, it usually is accompanied by risk. Pastor Greg talked about how we as a church family have the opportunity to grow stronger and deeper and to help literally hundreds of people in our community find faith. He also mentioned that pursuing it would mean risk as it would require our personal investment of time, effort, and money. How do you personally process this opportunity and risk?
- Read Numbers 13:29-14:10. Opportunity brings risk and it requires trust. In what ways do you demonstrate trust in God in your daily life? What ways do you demonstrate trust in yourself?
- Read Numbers 14:20-28. Opportunity does not last. Eventually God says, ‘enough’. Is there something you know you want to do, or you know God wants you to do, that you are putting off? What is it? How long are you planning on putting it off for?
- Read Numbers 14:39-45. Opportunity cannot be forced. The people in this situation tried to force open a door closed by God. It did not end well for them. What does reading this experience say to you?
In Matthew 14:16-18, Jesus challenges His followers with an impossible task…’you feed these (5000) people’. The job is utterly beyond them, but as Jesus revealed, all they needed to do was give Him what they already had, and He would take care of the rest. What is God asking you to give Him so it can be multiplied to accomplish His plans?
What is God saying from His Word? What are you/we going to do about it?