Breathing Room – Part 3 – Finding Financial Freedom
Sermon by Greg MacRobbie – Sunday, October 27, 2019
Money is tight. But that doesn’t mean you can’t manage it in the best way possible.
Life Group Study Guide
Scripture: Proverbs 15:16
We all have our own reasons for placing value on the things we do (that ratty blankie we used to carry around, that particular place we love to take a walk). Have you ever had something you put high value on even though others may not see it? What was it? Why was it so special? Tell your group about it…
1. Was there something in this week’s teaching that particularly struck you or got you thinking?
2. Financial breathing room means having money available at the end of the month to
- Help someone in nee
- Give freely without feeling stressed
- Help build breathing room in other areas of your life
Why is this so hard for so many? How possible does this picture seem for you? Why?
3. For most of us, developing financial breathing room is a slow process, but it begins with a basic commitment: put God first. Read Malachi 3:10 and Luke 14:25-33. What do God’s words through Malachi reveal about the outcome of putting God first in our finances? In some places, Christians debate whether the tithe (1/10th) is binding on followers of Jesus today. What do Jesus words in Luke 14 reveal about what we really owe God?
4. How do you think we should determine our level of giving? What do you think demonstrates that we are putting God first?
6. Read Acts 20:35. Why is this hard to remember? Contentment doesn’t come from getting more of what we want, it comes from having more of God and learning to be satisfied with what He provides. What do you (or can you) do to grow in your satisfaction with what God provides?
What is God saying to you from His Word? What are you going to do about it?
If you have not already done so, decide whether you are going to put God first in your finances.
For further personal study
Consider checking out the video series “Money Matters”. This free four part series features Dave Ramsey and Craig Groeschel and will help you take steps toward financial freedom as you learn more about budgeting and investing for the future. You can watch it here.