Breathing Room – Part 1 – Need a Little Air
Sermon by Greg MacRobbie – Sunday, October 13, 2019
It’s time to accept it – most of us have a problem with the pace in our lives.
Life Group Study Guide
Scripture: Matthew 11:28-30
Describe your favorite way to recharge… how do you fit it in? Or, describe your ideal holiday, and what’s been the closest you’ve come to experiencing it? Tell your group about it…
1. Was there something in this week’s teaching that particularly struck you or got you thinking?
2. How big a deal is a lack of breathing room in your life these days? If you had to pick, which would you say is a bigger contributor to your personal lack of margin, and why?:
- Keeping up with all the marks and measures of progress
- Dealing with the toll of problems in my life or in the world
- Carrying the weight of stresses I deal with on a regular basis
3. What difference would it make for you to have the breathing room to be fully present with friends and family, to be fully engaged in your relationship with God, or to be as generous in giving and active in service as you would like to be?
4. Read Matthew 11:28-30. Jesus’ invitation to follow Him is an invitation to rest and carry burdens that are light. How closely does this describe your experience of following Jesus? Why?
5. Read Mark 6:30-34 and Luke 10:38-42. Finding breathing room requires us to believe it is possible, and to believe it is a preferable way of life. What do you find the hardest when you think about doing something about the lack of breathing room in your life? What motivates you to do something about it?
6. We can begin the process of finding breathing room by checking and strengthening a few key foundations in your life –
- your sources of contentment
- your willingness to simplify
- and your watchfulness for a healthy balance of God, work, rest and play.
What would help you most right now? How can we help each other?
What is God saying to you from His Word? What are you going to do about it?